I love giving advice to people that are still in school. I’ve learned so much in my college days that I want to help those out from making mistakes that are easily avoidable. Today’s tips deal with saving money while in school and they come from www.collegescholarships.org
Here are my favorite tips!
- Try to find someone that has taken a class that you are now signed up for so you can borrow their book. If you are taking a class that is not within your major and cannot find someone’s book to borrow, rent a text book! I buy all AND keep all of my books that are within my major so that I can refer to them if I need tips.
- Get a free checking and savings account.
- Stay away from buying alcohol. No good can come from it.
- Two words: Ramen Noodles. Every college student should have this experience.
- Buying a laptop for school? Many companies have college savings such as Apple and Hewlett Packard. Decline extended warranties.
- Study groups help keep you focused on the primary reason you’re in college- to get an education. The more time you spend being focused and involved, the less time you have to spend money on frivolous things
- If you decide to live off-campus, find an apartment within walking distance to campus. This could save you money on gas and parking passes for driving to school and also possible tickets. Also rent where all utilities are included if possible. There are plenty of student apartments near college campuses that offer this.
- If you are on your parents’ cellular phone plans, stay with them and obey their rules for use. Trust me, it’s much harder paying for bills when your parents don’t even have cellular phones.
- If you want to exercise, your campus should have a gym where you can work out for free, with your student i.d. No need to purchase gym memberships.
- Want to try to make money? Tutor or sign up for a work study job or a part-time job that focuses on your major. That way, you get experience and get paid at the same time! You can also volunteer for a medical study but I would be careful with this!